Monday, February 26, 2007

a man thing

I've always been very polite and tolerant. Whether its been door slamming, party music, lateness, organisational mix-ups or whatever. If I'm the incovenienced party I'm always the "oh, that's alright, don't worry" type of guy.

People take advantage of my politeness. People who have an agenda. People like clipboard charity workers who accost you on the streets. People like telemarketers who call at the worst time. People like call-centre operators who leave you hanging on forever. Yet somehow I find the words "oh, that's alright, don't worry" slipping right out of my mouth before I even know it. It's not alright

I've noticed this. Sometimes I notice it too late to do anything about it then I wish I'd said something at the time. I hate when I do that.

For me, I've learnt there's a time to be tolerant and polite (and it's most of the time) but when its not that time - its time to speak your mind, bluntly and in plain language without dressing things up or circumventing the subject of your greivance.

We called a builder the other day wanting him to come around at the weekend. "Oh he said, I'm just filling up with petrol - email your details and I'll be in touch". 3 days later (and after the weekend window) he called back "Oh, er, I just got my emails." So can you come around on Wednesday at 7pm? Yes, OK

We normally get home around 6.30pm so we thought we tackle business then settle down to eat. So, nows nearly 7 and I'm in the kitchen preparing dinner. I'm cooking salmon so I don't want to over cook it. I'll chuck it in at quarter past then it'll be ready for when we're all done.

7.10pm and no sign of him. Tummies rumble.

7.20pm and nothing's changed. Not a call to tell us a reason or to give an eta

7.30pm I'm hungry and now I'm pretty pissed off.

A short while later they bowl on in. Nigel and Craig. "Sorry we're late" says Nigel "we've been to a function". Evidently they have - and it has been a function with quite a lot of booze, because Craig is pissed.

Tracey shows them around while I continue making dinner. I'm gobsmacked and stand blinking and speechless in the kitchen while I chop vegetables. As I reach the last carrot I realise that actually this is not fair, this is not acceptable and I will say something.

Outside Tracey is with them both.

"Can I ask a question?" I say
"Sure", says Nigel.
"In future, if you're going to be more than half an hour late, can you give us a call?"

Fairly tactful, I thought considering I could have said "You're fucking late, your mate's pissed and you've interrupted our dinner. What kind of prick would I be if I gave you the fucking job? You're not exactly giving the best first impression nor are you making me brim with confidence that you'd actually fucking turn up if I gave it to you. So fuck off!

"We were at a function, you see", simpered Nigel
"What and you couldn't phone and tell us you'd be late?"
"Nah, couldn't get out you see"
"No texting allowed either then?"
"Well, er, we we're due to come at 6pm then you're wife changed it to 7pm"
"Yeah, I know that" Actually you we're due to come at 6.30pm and it was changed to 7pm
"WHEN IN DOUBT DON'T DO BUSINESS AFTER 6", shouts a drunk Craig further up the path
"Well, we have to work for a living - so do most people"
"We usually work for millionaires you see. They're always around."
Go and work for them then, I guess they put up with shit customer service.

I glowered at them. They left.

It may be an Alpha male thing but I needed to show them what was what off-the-bat, that I wouldn't be a customer that was a soft touch. So lets be really fucking clear, gents I am your potential customer. Do not think you can treat me like this and I'll be okay with it. You should know better and you will be more professional in the future - that is, if you have one at all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Love that Alpha Male thing mate -- is it a bit of NZ rubbing off on you?

Coming home for a few weeks end of March. Will drop you a line!

Matt

11:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home